There comes a moment in each and every one of our lives when we unexpectedly find free time at hand. It might be because you are just done with your education, or because you are in between jobs…or even because you are simply taking a year off. But if you do find yourself in a situation like this, it’s always a good idea to make use of said time. How? Here are a few of our suggestions to get your started…
- Cooking – it’s a survival skill! Learning to cook can be far more rewarding than you think. Not only will you get a break from all the take-outs, you’ll also be doing your stomach and your digestive system a huge favor. Apart from this, if you are trying to lose weight, or have any specific body goal you’d like to achieve, you will find that knowing exactly what goes into your meals and having the authority to use specific ingredients for your meals will you a great deal here. Also, cooking is an art and can be very relaxing as well. Whether you decide to join a beginners cooking class, or start off by watching and following along to cooking videos online is entirely up to you.
- Carpentering – it’s always a good thing when you are good with your hands. If you are an artistic person, or if you simply love DIYing and making your own things, you’ll find that creating things out of wood can be a lot of fun. And you need not even try large projects that will involve you cutting plywood on CNC router; even a single block of wood and the right knife can bring you hours of interest.
- Swimming – perhaps the thought of eventually at least handling a CNC router for plywood scares you, or perhaps you have no interest at all in building or DIYing. In that case, consider giving swimming a try. Like cooking, this too could count as a survival skill; and can open up doorways to several other hobbies. This is apart from the fact that swimming is also a great stress reliever, and a fantastic way to lose weight!
- Sewing or knitting – do you consider yourself a fashionable person? Are you creative with your outfits? If you are, then it’s possible that you are tired of walking from one clothing boutique to another; only to discover the same set of clothing. In this case sewing, knitting or crocheting your own clothes can be a much rewarding decision. Sure, it will take a little longer than shop hopping. But wouldn’t you be more satisfied?
- Self defense – today’s world isn’t safe for anyone. Regardless to your gender and regardless to your age. Knowing how to protect yourself against these dangers is a vital knowledge in our opinion, and if possible, has to be taught as part of the primary education to all. Whether you live in a dangerous part of town, or whether you work late or travel alone; if you find that you have time and money to spare, then getting yourself trained on self defense, at least in the very basic level, can be a very smart move.